I just want to share with you a faster way to cook moist and delicious paleo chicken strips – this time frying them instead of baking them.
I came up with my original baked chicken strips recipe nearly 2 years ago. It’s always been one of my favorite go-to chicken meals. Check it out if you like here: Paleo Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Sauce.
The other day I was going to whip it up again for the hubs and I…but this time I thought I’d try frying the chicken strips instead of baking them. I figured it would work, and this way we wouldn’t have to wait 20 minutes while they’re roasting in the oven.
So instead of a baking sheet I grabbed my trusty iron skillet and heated up a 1/2-inch layer of coconut oil. (You could just as easily use avocado oil if you prefer your crust with a little less coconut taste.)
I dropped the coated strips into the hot oil and cooked them until they were golden brown on both sides.
My little experiment worked…these things were awesome fried! And they weren’t greasy at all…I just blotted them off a bit and they were still nice and crispy. I think you get a bit more flavor doing it this way too…so I’m giving this fried recipe a slight edge over the original baked version. And there’s no question it’s faster…your chicken strips will be done in minutes.
It’s up to you which cooking method you prefer – fried or baked. Either way I think the taste profile of these with the seasoning mix and the shredded coconut is really, really good.
And like the baked version, these paleo chicken strips make a fun meal for the kids. [av_sidebar widget_area=’Lockerdome’ av_uid=’av-nr9fno’]
Don’t forget the dipping sauce! We had my Tangy Paleo Barbecue Sauce with this batch and it’s probably the sauce your young ones would prefer.
But for more sophisticated palates, I still think my Paleo Honey Mustard Sauce is the best choice for this particular recipe. It’s only three ingredients and you can whip it up in under a minute, so that’s a big plus too.
That’s it peeps – just wanted to share a faster way to put awesome paleo chicken strips on your plate – fried this time instead of baked!
- 1 lb boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 egg
- Paleo Honey Mustard Sauce
- Tangy Paleo Barbecue Sauce
- First prepare the Seasoning Mix – simply add all those ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine
- Rinse, pat dry, and cut the chicken breasts into strips. Season both sides with the Seasoning Mix
- Next prepare to dredge the chicken using two separate bowls. In the first bowl, simply whisk one egg. In the second bowl, combine the almond flour and the shredded coconut
- Take each piece of seasoned chicken, and dip it in the bowl with the whisked egg first
- Move the piece over to the second bowl and thoroughly coat with the flour and shredded coconut mixture
- Repeat the two-step dredging with each piece
- Next heat about 1/2-inch of coconut oil (or avocado oil) in a large skillet over medium heat. (If the oil spits back at you, it's too hot!)
- Cook each chicken strip about 3 minutes per side, turning with tongs. Remove when the crust is golden and chicken is cooked through. Place chicken strips on paper towels to absorb any excess oil
- Allow the hot chicken to rest for a few minutes, then serve with your choice of dipping sauce