One of my favorite things to make for a weekend breakfast is a quick and easy paleo frittata…one pan, some leftover veggies, crack a few eggs, and you’re done.
For this recipe, I did do a little planning and grabbed some diced pancetta ahead of time from the deli…it’s a nice change from regular bacon, and I love the extra flavor it adds to this breakfast dish.
I must confess, my frittatas are almost always fried a little and then baked. In Italy, the pan’s trip to the oven would be frowned upon because flipping the frittata in the pan and finishing it on the stovetop is the way Italian moms do it. Of course they also put pasta and cheese in theirs too.
Traditions aside, I think you’ll find this easy paleo frittata recipe is incredibly good. You’ve got the savoriness of the pancetta going on plus the sweetness of the sweet potato, a subtle onion accent, and a little green variety with the spinach leaves. Add eggs, coconut milk, and your favorite seasonings, and this is an excellent way to start your family’s day. [av_sidebar widget_area=’Lockerdome’ av_uid=’av-oncp93′]
All you need are the ingredients below and a frying pan that can do double duty on top of the stove as well as in the oven. For this recipe, a 10-inch oven-proof skillet works perfectly.
Then it’s just a matter of chopping and grating, sautéeing everything a little bit, pouring the egg mixture on top, then sliding it into the oven for about 20 minutes.
Any leftover slices from this one will keep nicely in the fridge for a few days so you can enjoy this dish again as a simple heat and eat breakfast.
Give this easy paleo frittata recipe a try soon…it’s fully loaded with healthy protein and veggies, plus some really outstanding flavors to get your day started right!
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 3 oz diced pancetta
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cups shredded raw sweet potato
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- salt, pepper, any other favorite seasonings
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs
- Next add the coconut milk, along with salt, pepper, any other herbs or seasoning you like, stir, and set aside
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Select an oven-proof frying pan (10-inch is ideal)
- Brown the pancetta over medium heat. When browned, remove pancetta but leave the fat in frying pan
- Next add the onions and shredded sweet potatoes – cook in the pancetta fat for about 3 minutes
- Add spinach to frying pan and cook until leaves start to wilt
- Now take your bowl of whisked eggs and pour over the potatoes, onions and spinach in the frying pan
- Allow to cook for about 2 minutes, then sprinkle the pancetta on top
- Transfer the pan to the preheated 350º F oven and bake 20-25 minutes until cooked through
- Remove from oven, allow to rest for a minute or two, slice and serve!
If pancetta is unavailable, simply use fried and chopped bacon strips instead