What’s better than a tender, moist and delicious pot roast? It’s just wholesome, unpretentious food most of us probably remember our moms or grannies cooking up…
The good news is Paleo and pot roast go together like peanut butter and jelly. When you add your favorite slow-cooked veggies, it really is the perfect meal. Letting a crock pot handle the hours of cooking for you on autopilot makes this hearty meal taste even better I think. Slow cooking will fill your house with a wonderful roasted aroma that will tease your taste buds for hours.
This Paleo pot roast recipe is super-easy. I wish I could describe how wonderful the flavors are. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes really comes out, mine almost tasted like I snuck in some marshmallows. And then you have the hearty, robust flavor of the juicy, slow-cooked meat. All topped with the rich, buttery taste of the tender baby carrots, and you’ve got yourself one amazing meal. [av_sidebar widget_area=’Lockerdome’ av_uid=’av-20ffqa’]
I had never served slow cooked pot roast and mashed sweet potatoes together before – now this is how I’m going to do it everytime…yes, it’s really that good!
You’ve really got to try this recipe, especially if you have a hungry family to feed. Kids and adults alike will absolutely love this awesome combo of flavors. And the best part, it’s all Paleo goodness!
Try this easy recipe, and let me know what you think!
- 2-3 lb. pot roast
- 1 onion – chopped
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 pkgs of mushrooms
- 2 cups of baby carrots
- 1 can of beef broth
- Salt, pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes or yams
- Brown your roast in a skillet first. It's important for flavor. Just sear it on both sides and place it in a crock pot.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and any other spices you like
- Add, onion, garlic, carrots and mushrooms to the crockpot
- Pour in the beef broth
- Cook in crock pot 5-7 hrs. Every crock pot cooks differently. The meat should be very tender when done.
- About an hour before the roast is done, wash sweet potatoes and place them unpeeled on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350-degrees F for 25-35 min. You will see the potatoes release some liquid when they're done.
- Once the potatoes have cooled a bit, peel them. They should peel off very easily using just your fingers.
- Slice the baked potatoes and place in a mixing bowl. Use a hand masher or hand mixer until they're the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Add 3 tbs of organic butter to the mashed potatoes.
- Add 1/2 tsp garlic to the potatoes.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper and whatever spices you like. (I added some rosemary and cayenne for a little kick.)
- Mix the potatoes and spices together, then taste it to make sure they're seasoned just how you like them.
- Next, remove roast from crock pot.
- Scoop up some potatoes to form a bed, then place the roast and veggies on top.
Do you sear the meat using oil?
What a hit! I tried my first Paleo Newbie recipe the other night, the Paleo Pot Roast with Sweet Mashed Potatoes. My boyfriend thought it was my Grandma’s Pot Roast Recipe, he was taken back that it was paleo and delicious! Thank you! Excited to try more recipes!
Yay Jocelyn! I’m so happy we got you on board with the first recipe! I hope you will find more recipes to enjoy. :) Let me know how it goes!
Hi, Great Website! What size can of beef broth?
15 oz…Sorry about that. And I really need to retake that photo! lol :)
do you think this would work with corned beef?
Alex, I have never tried it with corned beef. Sounds like it would work, Let me know if you try it.
Is the cook time on low or high setting?
Jane, I cooked it on low, but you can also cook on high and shorten the time by about 2 hrs.
We just made this meal with buffalo roast and it was delicious. Thanks for making our switch to paleo easier with your great recipes on this blog.
Michelle, thank you so much for your comment. Sounds like it was awesome with Buffalo. I have never had it, but need to try it soon! :)