This recipe was a happy accident. Here’s what happened: I was making a berry purée for another recipe and I couldn’t get it to work…
I was getting so frustrated. I started yelling a little bit. Maybe a lot a bit.
My husband came by in the middle of my purée melt down and tasted it. “Hey, this is awesome,” he said. “It would be great with ice-cream!” A new idea was born.
So you see, sometimes it’s okay to have more than one cook in the kitchen. We paired the purée with fresh berries and our homemade, dairy-free “ice cream” which is actually made with a little cinnamon, maple syrup, and of course full-fat coconut milk. [av_sidebar widget_area=’Lockerdome’ av_uid=’av-1yimw2′]
The result was awesome. The ice cream maker is churning out another batch as I write this, as I’m sure it will be all summer long!
Click below for the ice cream and topping together in one recipe.
- 3 cups fresh berries of your choice – I used blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries (2 cups to make the puree topping, 1 cup for the fruit to add to your bowl of ice cream)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup raw honey to make the ice cream (Plus 2 tbs to make the puree topping)
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- About 3 tbs raw maple syrup (This is optional. I like the flavor a little syrup brings to the ice cream)
- In a blender mix 2 cans full fat coconut milk, 1/4 cup honey, 3 tbs maple syrup, 2 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp cinnamon.
- Pour into electric countertop ice cream maker and blend to desired consistancy (You can make this ahead of time)
- Now take 2 cups of mixed berries, 2 tbs honey and the juice from one lime and blend into a puree.
- Scoop ice cream into cups.
- Top with puree and fruit.
- Eat it up! Yum!