If you know anything about me, you know I’m a Northwestern girl. I grew up around lots of seawater and lots of fish…
So it probably goes without saying I love most seafood including halibut, shrimp, and clams. I’ll pass on the octopus, thank you. But the one fish I really love is salmon. And not just because when I was a teen I had the hots for a guy that gutted them down by the dock. No, I love salmon because it tastes so darn good.
Of course, seafood has been a big part of my diet for a long time. When I was young, my family spent many summer days fishing in Puget Sound. We had more fish in our freezer than we knew what to do with. My dad would always give away freshly-caught 10-pound salmon to our neighbors. Im not kidding. It was so cool. We had smoked salmon as an after school snack. So it’s safe to say salmon is just part of my lifeblood.
I was craving salmon the other day so I made some pesto, added a little lemon zest and lemon juice, and poured it on our grilled Pacific salmon.
(By the way, buying wild-caught salmon can be a little pricey I know, but you should really try to avoid the farm-raised stuff if possible.)
The salmon and pesto are both Paleo-approved and really yummy! I made a little more of the sauce because we were grilling some zucchini and bell peppers and I thought it would go perfectly with those too. Fresh grilled veggies with lemon pesto and salmon – what an awesome combo!
And the best part? The whole meal was cooked on the grill. No need to raise the temperature in the kitchen this summer when you don’t have to is my motto. Just hand everything to your significant other and let them sweat it out over the grill!
So give this one a try sometime and give your Omega 3s a boost. You can whip up this simple and delicious summertime meal fast – click on the link below to check out this easy paleo recipe!
Grilled Salmon and Veggies with Lemon Pesto Paleo Recipe
- 4 salmon fillets
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 red peppers
- olive oil for grilling veggies and fish
- 1 cup basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- lemon pepper and Johnny’s seasoning salt (or your favorite seafood seasoning)
- Make the pesto first. In a blender or food processor combine the basil, garlic and pine nuts.
- Drizzle in olive oil while blending.
- Next add the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Check for consistency. If you want it a little more saucy you can add a little more olive oil and lemon.
- Store in fridge until fish and veggies are grilled.
- Chop veggies for grilling. Keep them large. They are much easier to grill. Season with lemon pepper and season salt. (or whatever spices you like)
- Season salmon the same way, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Grill until fish and veggies are done.
- Plate them up and add the spoon on the lemon Pesto.
- Enjoy this very healthy and great-tasting meal!