Here’s a must-have recipe for everyone new to paleo – and you paleo pros too if you haven’t tried a hash like this before…
We often get asked: ‘What can I make for breakfast that’s easy and paleo – besides eggs?’
This is the perfect recipe – a paleo breakfast hash. A heaping serving of sausage and veggies that’s so packed with flavor and nutrition, adding eggs becomes just another option.
I bet we enjoy some version of this hash at least 2 or 3 times a month for breakfast. Sometimes I switch things up and serve it for dinner.
I’ve nicknamed this one “kitchen sink” because I usually make it with whatever leftover goodies are on hand at the end of the week. It’s great with zucchini, winter squash, broccoli or just about any yummy veggie you have lying around. [av_sidebar widget_area=’Lockerdome’ av_uid=’av-1x018o’]
This particular version is one of my favorites because I’m a big bell pepper and sweet potato kinda girl.
The cool thing about this recipe is it’s so flexible. Give it some thought and come up with your own ingredients to shop for, or just see what’s been left behind in your vegetable bin and go for it.
Once you try it, I can guarantee some variation of this hash will quickly become a staple in your paleo diet.
It’s funny, I’m finally posting this because my husband was gobbling it up one morning and asked why it wasn’t on the blog.
Duh…sometimes I get so wrapped up in creating new recipes that I miss the ones right under my nose.
This one truly is paleo eating at its best. Clean, wholesome food to start your day off right. Yum!
- 1 package (about 1 lb.) of quality chicken sausage, chopped (we used Applegate brand)
- 1 bell pepper (red or any color), diced
- 1/3 of a medium-size yellow onion, diced
- 1 raw medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup of frozen spinach, drained (or use fresh spinach if available – a few handfuls)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne or chipotle powder - just a sprinkle, or to taste
- Coconut oil or bacon drippings (to sauté the veggies)
- Optional: 4 eggs
- Peel sweet potato, cut into 1/2" thick rounds, then dice (the smaller the pieces, the faster it will cook)
- Sauté diced potato in frying pan with a little oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until tender
- Season with salt and pepper
- In a separate pan over medium heat, brown chopped sausage for a few minutes
- Add diced onion, bell pepper, and spinach and sauté together with the sausage
- Season with salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne or chipotle
- Next toss in the cooked sweet potato pieces, and warm through
- Finally, scramble or fry eggs if desired, and serve with the hash
Good breakfast idea….so yummy!! It takes a bit of time to prepare, but it’s worth it. Maybe one could dice the vegetables ahead of time, or make a double batch and reheat it? It says that it serves four, but we divided into two and ate the whole thing :) thanks!!
Denise, so glad you enjoyed it! its one of my favs too. Sometimes I double the recipe for leftovers. Thnaks for stopping by to comment! :)
This sounds awesome! Have to make it this weekend!
Nice #recipe! Added this to my cookbook http://t.co/STSbA2dPDW
wow where have you been!?