To me there’s nothing like digging into a fresh, healthy salad…especially when it’s an incredibly easy paleo recipe packed with flavor – with absolutely nothing to cook!
This little salad is a very tasty paleo lunch idea that will take you just a few minutes to throw together.
If you decide to make this one with bacon instead of ham, that will add a bit to your prep time. Pre-cooked ham makes it easy – just cube it and you’re done.
I think you’ll like the sweetness of the carrots in this one, and the tartness of the cranberries provide a nice contrast for your taste buds.
And think of the sunflower seeds garnish as your paleo croutons, giving your salad a nutty little crunch.
The homemade paleo mayo recipe is super simple, but you will need a little extra patience to pull it off. The key is to s-l-o-w-l-y add the oil in while mixing. If you don’t take your time, your mayo will likely separate. It takes me about 5 minutes to fully mix the oil into the mayo for this little batch – but once done, you’ll have a lovely little creamy mayo that’s well worth the extra time to get right.
I use avocado oil for the mayo because it’s light and has a nice, neutral flavor. I wouldn’t recommend olive oil – that one is tricky to work with and may give your mayo a bitter flavor. For this recipe, I added just a tablespoon of raw honey to give the mayo a touch of sweetness.
This salad would also make a great side dish, complete with a full serving of veggies and some protein. But if you’re like me, this salad will be a meal all by itself. By the way, feel free to switch out the main veggie with something more to your liking if you’re not a big broccoli fan.
I know we’re all incredibly busy – that’s why it’s nice to have a simple paleo recipe like this one you don’t have to think much about and can whip together in minutes.
- 1 cup of cooked ham, cubed (or if you prefer, chopped bacon)
- 3 cups of fresh broccoli florets, halved
- 4 green onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of paleo mayo + 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- First make your paleo mayo dressing, and stir in 1 tbsp of raw honey. Place in refrigerator until the salad is ready
- Next combine all the above ingredients (except sesame seeds) in a large salad mixing bowl
- Pour just 1/2 cup of the mayo-honey dressing over the salad, and mix well to coat – then mix in more dressing as needed
- Serve in individual salad bowls and garnish with sesame seeds
I can’t wait to try this, Trina! I looks delicious! Raw broccoli salads are awesome!
Thanks Jay! I agree! :) Hope you like it!
Hey Trina! This looks really gorgeous. Do you just eat the brocolli raw? Very brave :)!
Hi Mark! Yes, raw it is! I’m a brave girl. :)