Ouch! That’s me kicking myself – I should have put an easy paleo mayo recipe up on Paleo Newbie way before now!
I’ve made variations of this homemade mayonnaise recipe for years, so I just assumed it was hanging out somewhere in the Sauces & Seasonings. Nope, my hubby pointed out the mayo was MIA.
So why would you need a good mayo…especially now that wheat bread sandwiches are off your paleo menu?
Well, how about to whip up a quick tuna salad…some deviled eggs…a creamy veggie dip…or a yummy broccoli and ham salad!
So what’s wrong with just walking into your favorite grocery store and grabbing a jar of whatever’s on sale?
Take a closer look at that label…yes, even those that say they’re made with a healthy paleo fat like olive oil. Chances are you’re going to spot stuff like canola oil, soybean oil, sugar, and a bunch of tongue-twister additives…that’s olive oil that got mixed up with a really bad crowd!
Sure there may be a few clean mayos out there, but why spend your time searching and eventually paying a lot more for something that’s so simple to whip up at home?
A basic, paleo mayo only takes a handful of ingredients – an egg, lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar, a little bit of Dijon mustard, salt, and avocado oil. That’s it!
Now the only tricky part for mayo newbies is emulsifying the mayonnaise – in other words, blending the oil and other ingredients so they stick together without separating. You know what they say – oil and water don’t mix. You’ll prove them wrong once you make this yummy mayonnaise!
Whether you’re using an immersion blender or just your trusty whisk, the key is sloooooowly adding the oil to the other ingredients while you’re mixing. Just barely dribble it in there and keep those blades or your whisk constantly moving – see the instructions in the recipe below.
When you’re done you should have a rich, creamy mayo sauce with a slight yellow tint that is amazingly good.
Now go ahead and doctor it up if you like with pepper, a fresh herb like cilantro, maybe some garlic, or how about paprika for a smokey flavor? Use your imagination and create your own signature paleo mayo blend!
Easy Paleo Mayo Recipe
- Hand-held immersion blender, food processor, or blender is recommended – a hand-held whisk can also be used.
- 1 egg – yolk only
- 1 tbsp lemon juice OR apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup of avocado oil – 1/4 cup to start – then slowly add the rest. See instructions below
- Add the above ingredients to a bowl or blender, but use only a 1/4 cup of the avocado oil to start
- Wait a few seconds, and then with your blender or hand whisk, start mixing the ingredients
- Next, SLOWLY drizzle in the remaining avocado oil while continually mixing to disperse the oil evenly. Take your time! If whisking by hand, this process may take a little longer
- When all the oil is mixed in well, you should have a creamy sauce
- Refrigerate right after mixing
- Add any additional dry or finely-chopped herbs or spices you like