Sometimes I wish I’d gone to culinary school. Since starting Paleo Newbie, I realize I have a real passion for cooking…
Not that I didn’t know that before, but now that I’m talking and writing about food almost all the time, I’m really having a blast with it! Figuring out recipes. Thinking about what flavors would go well together. This is so much fun!
A culinary school would’ve probably kicked me out anyway – I tend to question everything. Why can’t this ingredient go with that one? Why are there so many restrictions with recipes? Who cares about the rules as long as it tastes good, right?
My hubby enjoys trying out all my creations before we post them. I usually just “wing it,” and if he likes it, it melts my heart a little. I love cooking for my favorite people – my family being first.
I definitely winged it again today with a salad. It started as one idea and turned into something a little different. The end result I think was awesome. I was thinking about a berry chicken salad while shopping, then spotted some fresh nectarines in the produce aisle. So I grabbed those, and some bacon, and bam! I think the nectarines and bacon ended up being the highlight of the salad.
And the fresh strawberry vinaigrette (also in the recipe below) helped bring all these great summery flavors together. That’s the real fun of cooking I think. You can start off with something in mind, and if you let your own instincts and creativity take over, chances are you’ll be pleasantly surprised when it’s done. :)
You’ll have to try this Paleo salad recipe. My taste-tester/husband liked the strawberry vinaigrette a little sweeter than I did. So I bumped the sweetness up a bit because he’s a sweetheart.
Oh! I discovered coconut vinegar. Love it! You should try it. It has a nice citrusy tang to it. This coconut vinegar would be great in dressings or marinades that call for apple cider vinegar.
By the way, if you’re not big on strawberry vinaigrette, this recipe would also be awesome with another dressing – something like a honey-lime or balsamic vinaigrette.
Hope you enjoy…and happy summer!
Paleo Chicken, Berry & Nectarine Salad w/Strawberry Vinaigrette Recipe
Chicken & Berry Salad
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 nectarines – cut into pieces
- 1-2 avocadoes – cut into pieces
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 2-4 chicken breasts, cooked depending on how much you like in your salad
- Salad greens – whatever kind you like. I used mixed greens
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 tbsp coconut vinegar you can use apple cider if you don’t have coconut vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine berries, coconut vinegar, raw honey and salt and pepper in a blender. Next slowly add olive oil on a lower speed
- Stop and taste the mixture – you may want to add more honey or vinegar depending on your own personal taste
- Store in refrigerator until you’re ready to serve your salad
- Grill your chicken. Use whatever seasonings, BBQ sauce, or glaze you prefer
- Cook your bacon and crumble
- Get your salad together with the greens, chicken, strawberries, blackberries and nectarines.
- Top with avocado, bacon and the yummy strawberry vinaigrette!
- Dig in and enjoy!