Here’s a simple little recipe to quickly whip up a small bun for your pork or beef sliders using paleo-approved ingredients.
This very easy recipe produces a small paleo and gluten-free biscuit you can cut in half and use as a bun to pile on the beef or pork for a slider. And yes, I’ve got the perfect recipe for the pork: Paleo Barbecue Pulled-Pork Sliders.
Before you try this recipe I want to be clear these buns more closely resemble biscuits in density and texture – they are not a light and fluffy wheat bun clone!
This one will work well as a sturdy holder for paleo sliders, or as a “cowboy biscuit” all by themselves.
Personally, I prefer to use my Paleo Tortilla recipe as a wrap when creating any kind of paleo “sandwich” for my meals.
I know some people will find this recipe useful, but I just want to be sure everyone understands this recipe will not duplicate the texture and taste of a traditional hamburger bun. :)
Paleo & Gluten-free Small Bun Recipe
- 1 cup of tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/4 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 2 eggs – whisked
- 1/4 cup butter or ghee – melted
- Sesame seeds for topping – optional
- 6 buns
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium bowl
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix eggs, honey and milk together
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and combine
- Add the melted butter or ghee and stir
- Let the bun batter rest for 3-5 minutes, then stir again
- Scoop batter up with large ice cream scoop or a 1/4 measuring cup (batter will be sticky)
- Place batter scoops on parchment lined cookie sheet – leave scoops mounded on sheet; don’t flatten
- You should have a total of six scoops
- Sprinkle tops with sesame seeds if desired
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes (buns should be golden around the edges)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Cut the bottom third of each bun to create a top and bottom and fill as desired