Here’s a relatively inexpensive cut of meat that’s easy to turn into a juicy and mouthwatering paleo steak – elevated to restaurant-worthiness with a special chimichurri marinade-sauce you can whip up in minutes!
This my paleo friends is a gourmet feast! And the best part, everything’s so easy to prepare…you don’t need any special skills to proudly serve this one up like a master griller.
Start with a good cut of flank steak – grass-fed if you can find it. I’d recommend at least 1.5 pounds – the one pictured weighed in at over 2.5 lbs. Trim off any extra fat, and it’s good to go.
Next you just need to make the marinade. Chimichurri is a pretty famous sauce out of Argentina that’s always served with grilled meats. This recipe’s definitely worth picking up some fresh parsley and oregano. The other simple paleo ingredients you probably have on hand. Then you just throw everything in a blender and give it a 10-second whirl. The marinade’s done!
Set aside half the sauce in a container and refrigerate for serving later. Use the remainder as a marinade to pour into a sealable plastic bag along with the steak. Marinate the flank steak at least 2 hours, or preferably, overnight. Flank is a little tougher cut of beef – the marinade will make it tender while infusing it with incredibly fragrant flavors. [av_sidebar widget_area=’Lockerdome’ av_uid=’av-qwdst3′]
Cooking your flank steak couldn’t be easier. Just make sure to preheat your grill to medium – you want it nice and hot for those fabulous grill marks! Cook over direct heat somewhere around 12-14 minutes total (turning once) for medium rare…longer depending on thickness or if you like your steak more done.
After you’ve removed the steak from the grill, just tent it under aluminum foil for 5-10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute. Then simply slice it thin against the grain and top with more of that yummy chimichurri sauce.
Serve with your favorite veggies on the side, or like we did, with a fresh-chopped paleo salad.
By the way, any remaining chimichurri sauce will last about a week in the fridge – perfect for another grilling adventure like chimichurri chicken!
- Flank steak, 1.5 lbs (or larger)
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, leaves only
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 6-7 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp oregano, fresh
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Prepare the chimichurri sauce/marinade first...
- Add the parsley, olive oil, salt, pepper, red wine venegar, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice all together in a blender or food processor, and blend for about 10 seconds – just until all ingredients are evenly mixed
- Set aside half the sauce for a marinade. Place steak in sealable plastic bag and pour the sauce inside. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight to marinate
- Reserve the other half of the sauce in the refrigerator to serve with your meal
- Remove the steak from bag and discard remaining marinade
- Preheat grill to medium heat (350º to 450º F) and coat cooking grate with an oil
- Place steak on hot grate directly over heat source. Cook approximately 5-7 minutes per side for medium rare - keep grill lid closed as much as possible
- Remove steak from grill and lightly cover with aluminum foil for 5-10 minutes
- Slice steak across the grain in thin slices
- Serve with reserved chimichurri sauce on the side
- Add your favorite veggies or salad and enjoy an amazing meal!
@CookEatPaleo My soul is crying right now
Rose Reyna-Kory Lisa Reyna