Do we have any kale lovers out there? If you’re all raising your hands right now, I’m in big trouble…
I know the health benefits of getting some kale in your paleo diet, but I have to confess it’s never been anywhere close to my favorite green. Believe me, I’ve wanted to like it – but I just couldn’t get past the green’s bitter taste.
Well if there are a few of you out there like me, I think I’ve found a very easy and tasty solution. And if you already love kale, I know you’re really going to like this paleo salad recipe!
I mixed spinach (love the Popeye greens!) with the kale, and then added a really nice lemon vinaigrette. And for good measure, I added some fresh fruit and carrots to this super-nutritious salad.
And…I loved it. Yes, I could still taste a little bitterness from the kale, but with all the other wonderful flavors going on, that didn’t bother me at all.
QUICK KALE FACTS:
- One cup of chopped kale contains more vitamin C than a medium-size orange
- A good source of healthy fats (alpha-linolenic acid)
- More vitamin A than any other leafy greens
- More calcium (gram for gram) than milk
- Super rich in antioxidants (especially vitamin K) and phytonutrients
- Too harsh of a flavor for you? Look for baby kale – it’s less bitter and more tender
To get some healthy protein in this dish too, I added a roasted and sliced chicken breast and drizzled a bit of the vinaigrette over it too for an awesome lemony chicken.
This salad was so good! I had it for dinner last night and again for lunch today. Believe it or not, kale might just turn out to be my new best friend. :)
This paleo recipe will serve about 2-3 people, but it may be one you’ll want to double up on so you’ll have enough salad to enjoy the next day too!
Try it paleo peeps!
Tip: If you’re making this kale and spinach paleo salad ahead of time, sprinkle a little lemon juice over the apple chunks to help keep them from turning brown.
Kale & Spinach Paleo Salad with Apples, Cranberries and Lemon Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups of fresh organic kale
- 2 cups fresh organic spinach
- 1 carrot peeled and shredded
- 1 apple cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup dried organic cranberries
- Optional protein: roasted chicken meat, or any leftover or canned chicken
- 2-3 Servings
- Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk
- Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss
- Add pre-cooked chicken meat, if desired
- Drizzle all with lemon vinaigrette