Remember when you were a kid and sat down with a nice cool ice cream treat on a warm summer day? Yum, nothing better, right?
Or how about when you tried to eat an ice cream cone real fast before it dripped down your arm and you got a killer brain freeze? Ok, maybe that was just me.
Well today I’ve got a cool and delicious non-dairy and gluten-free frozen summer treat that will bring out the kid in you…and you can feel really good about serving it to your own kids!
There is a little honey and some dark chocolate chips in these homemade ice cream sandwiches, but I’ll take that any day over a box of the store-bought ones that are rubbery, stale, and packed with sugar and preservatives!
I made the 3-1/2” round banana cakes for this sandwich in this whoopie pie pan
Wilton Nonstick 12-Cavity Whoopie Pie Panwe got from Amazon.com (currently around $12). Just remember for this recipe to only fill the wells halfway with the batter!
The cakes will be just the right thickness to sandwich a scoop or so of creamy cinnamon-vanilla dairy-free ice cream between them. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, instead of using the ice cream recipe below, go for my chocolate “peanut butter” ice cream – I’m thinking that one would be really amazing!
These homemade and healthier ice cream sandwiches would be perfect for anything from a backyard barbecue to a kids’ birthday party.
Or, just anytime you’re feeling the heat and want to sneak a practically guilt-free treat from the freezer to cool off.
Both the cake halves and the ice cream for this recipe are really easy to make, and I honestly think everyone – paleo or not – will love them. Give this treat a try!
Banana Bread “Ice Cream” Sandwiches Recipe
- Ice cream maker
- Whoopie Pie Pan
*Vanilla-Cinnamon “Ice Cream” Ingredients*
- 2 cans of full-fat coconut milk 13.5 oz each
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of raw honey choose your desired sweetness
"Ice Cream" Yield
- Makes about 2 pints
Banana Bread Cakes Ingredients
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs- whisked
- 1/4 cup coconut oil-melted
- 1 or 2 tbs raw honey depending on how ripe your bananas are and how sweet you like it
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life brand mini chocolate chips
- a whoopie pie pan
Banana Bread Yield (baked in Whoopie pie pan)
- Makes enough rounds for about 7 to 8 ice cream sandwiches
“Dairy-Free Vanilla-Cinnamon “Ice Cream” Instructions
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker
- Churn 20-30 minutes
- Freeze until you’re ready to assemble the ice cream sandwiches
Banana Bread Cakes Instructions
- In a small bowl smash the bananas
- Add eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and honey and blend together
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients: almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon
- Pour wet ingredients into dry mixture and blend well.
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Pour batter into greased Whoopie pie pan – fill each cavity only 1/2 full
- Bake at 350º F for about 10-12 minutes
- Once banana cakes have cooled, create sandwiches with generous scoops of the dairy-free ice cream
- Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap, place in a freezer container, and store in freezer until ready to enjoy
Silly question, any way around using the ice cream maker. I don’t currently own one. Please let me know at your earliest convenience. Thank you ?
That’s a good question Joel…I’ve got an alternative for you…it’s included in my Strawberry Banana Non-Dairy Ice Cream …it involves some patience and elbow grease, but gets the job done. :)
what if you want to change the recipe to three bananas? how do you adjust the rest of the ingredients, add 33% to everything?
I think you can just leave the recipe as is, then taste it. If you would like to add to it, do it. :)
For the banana bread ice cream sandwiches- in the ice cream recipe it says to use “two cans” of coconut milk, what size cans or how many oz of coconut milk? I make my own coconut milk and would need the measurement. Also my market carries two sizes of cans so in case I go store bought I’d need to know. Thanks!! Cant wait to make these!
The cans are 13.5 oz. I’m so sorry for not including that info in the recipe! I hope you like these cool treats. They were gone in our house in just a few days! :)