If you love juicy and flavorful roasted turkey with a warm fruit compote dribbled on top, this has got to be one of the easiest and most delicious paleo turkey meals ever!
This recipe serves 2-3 people using a 2.5 lb bone-in turkey breast. If you’ve got a few more turkey lovers to feed, just choose a larger size and cook it a little longer.
This one is a real favorite of mine whenever I’m craving turkey. I slide it into the oven and whip up the compote at least a couple of times a year for the Hubs and I. It’s that easy!
Need to prepare an intimate Thanksgiving dinner for two? This is your recipe.
Got the whole family landing on your dinner table for the holidays? Maybe go with a whole bird instead and just make the apple-cranberry compote as a side. It only takes about 30 minutes to whip up! You’ll get about 2-1/2 cups out of this recipe – so you’ll want to at least double the ingredients to keep your whole family happy.
As far as cooking tips, this one’s pretty much foolproof as-is. No special skills or ninja tricks needed to pull this one off.
My only advice would be to set your turkey breast on a wire rack in your roasting tray – it’ll give your turkey a nice top-to-bottom golden brown. And of course, loosely tent the turkey breast with aluminum foil if it starts getting a little toasty on top. [av_sidebar widget_area=’Lockerdome’ av_uid=’av-k72u6x’]
The compote is even easier…bring it to a boil, back it off to a simmer, stir occasionally, cool, serve. Nothing complicated about that!
Give this easy paleo turkey entrée and fruity compote a try the next time you’re craving roasted turkey – no need to wait for Thanksgiving to dig into this one!
- About 2.5 lbs., bone-in. Rinse and pat dry.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 garlic powder
- 2 apples – peeled, cored and cut into chunks (I used Gala)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (frozen OK too - thaw first)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp zest from orange peel
- Place turkey on a small wire rack inside a shallow baking tray. Line tray with foil or parchment for easier cleanup
- Brush turkey with olive oil or softened ghee.
- Combine turkey seasoning ingredients above and sprinkle over turkey on all sides
- Cook turkey breast uncovered at 325ºF until golden brown and internal temperature reads 165ºF. Cooking times vary – a 2.5 lbs turkey beast should take around 1-1/2 to 2 hours. (If necessary, tent with aluminum foil to prevent scorching)
- Remove from oven, tent loosely with aluminum foil. (Internal temperature should rise to 170ºF in 5 minutes or so.)
- Combine all the compote ingredients together in a medium sauce pan
- When mixture boils, reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer about 20 - 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Compote is ready when the apples are tender, cranberries pop open, and mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool a little, and serve warm over sliced turkey
Looks like a great dinner recipe for two, I love this!
Made this today for my mom who is visiting! We both lovvvvvvved it! The compote is especially delicious! I forgot to thaw out the bird so ended up cooking it from frozen in the crockpot. Turned out fabulous after cooking on high for 6 hours. Yummy! Still loving ALL of your recipes!!
Carrie, you are such a doll! Thank you! I’m happy you and mom enjoyed! What a great Idea to place it in the crockpot! :)