Some Friday evenings after a long work week my hubby and I like to kick back with a coffee table picnic…
That’s when we makeup two or three yummy paleo appetizers and munch on them for dinner in front of the TV.
Not exactly a romantic date night, but we get to pick the movie and enjoy fresh-cooked food while relaxing in the comfort of our living room. For us that makes for an awesome evening! (Yeah I know, I’m a cheap date.)
Anyway, I had been craving fried zucchini squash for our little indoor picnics. I figured out a simple recipe that wouldn’t be too oily (even though these are fried in a shallow layer of healthy coconut oil) with a light and flavorful gluten-free coating. Next, I whipped up a quick and easy veggie dip using the cream from a full-fat can of cold coconut milk as the base, and we were good to go!
This recipe is so easy and actually turned out even better than I thought it would. We cleaned up the fried zucchini along with some grilled veggies and chicken kabobs and agreed it was one of our best “picnics” ever!
We used a heavy skillet with about a 1/2 inch of coconut oil in the bottom set to medium to medium-low heat. You want the oil hot enough so the zucchini sizzles, but not too hot that they’re spitting back at you! I suggest testing a single slice first to make sure the oil is at the right temperature.
Do be careful doing this, my friends. I’ll admit I’m not experienced at frying much of anything except bacon, but my first attempt came out perfect. I set the fried slices on paper towels to soak up some of the excess oil, and we dug in. Warm veggies, cool dip, so good!
This paleo fried zucchini recipe would make a great appetizer at your next party too, or whenever you decide to have an indoor picnic with your honey. :)
Paleo Fried Zucchini with Cool Dill Dip Recipe
Fried Zucchini Ingredients
- 2 zucchini squash; thicker ones are better
- 3 tbs coconut flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbs almond milk
- 1 egg
- sea salt to taste
- coconut oil for frying
Cool Dill Dip Ingredients
- 1/2 cup coconut milk cream* *(that's the thick part at the top of the can that forms when full-fat coconut milk is refrigerated)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbs dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Pinch ground black pepper
Cool Dill Dip Instructions
- Blend all dip ingredients in a bullet blender or similar mixer
- If it’s too thick, add a little coconut water from the coconut milk
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
Fried Zucchini Instructions
- Whisk egg and almond milk together in a small bowl. Set aside
- Place coconut flour and paprika in a large Ziplock-type plastic bag. Shake to mix and set aside
- Heat a layer of coconut oil about 1/2-inch deep in a heavy skillet – set to medium low to medium heat
- Cut zucchini into 1/4-inch round slices
- Add zucchini slices to plastic bag and shake to coat with dry mixture
- Remove slices from bag and lightly tap each to remove loose seasonings
- Next dip each slice into the egg and almond milk mixture
- Very carefully place the seasoned and dipped zucchini slices into the hot coconut oil
- Cook about one minute on each side, or until golden
- Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil
- Sprinkle with sea salt to taste
- Serve with the dill dip and enjoy!