I’m always looking for ways to simplify things, especially when it comes to cooking – this yummy recipe is the perfect example.
I took my oldie but goodie oven-baked orange chicken, and worked on a much faster way to get the same delicious taste.
This time I used boneless chicken breast slices with a simple coating, and then fried the pieces in my stovetop skillet while the sauce simmered away in a separate saucepan. Super easy!
This bite-sized orange chicken dish is perfect served over either cauliflower rice or parboiled rice – the ideal combo for a fast lunch or fantastic dinner.
Hope you give this new paleo orange chicken version a try, I think you’ll really like it. As always, let me know what you think!
EZ Paleo Orange Chicken Takeout Style
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or Tamari
- 1 tsp orange zest from the peel
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to your taste)
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp cold water
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine all sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer
- Add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to a large skillet over medium heat (oil should have small ripples when ready)
- While the sauce is simmering, cut up the chicken breasts into bite-size chunks.
- Add the tapioca starch, salt and pepper to a small bowl
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the 2 eggs
- Dredge the cut chicken pieces through the tapioca flour mix, lightly tap to remove excess starch, then dip each piece in the egg mixture, and shake off excess
- Place coated chicken pieces into hot skillet. Cook about 3-4 minutes each side or until chicken pieces are browned and cooked through. Remove from skillet and set on plate lined with paper towels. Cook in batches until all the pieces are fried and draining
- Whisk 1 tablespoon each of tapioca and water together in a small bowl until combined. Bring stovetop orange sauce briefly up to a soft boil and stir in the tapioca and water mixture until sauce thickens – about 1 minute
- Remove sauce from heat and toss with fried chicken pieces. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions
- If desired, serve over riced cauliflower (paleo), or parboiled rice with extra sauce
This is melt in your mouth deliciousness! I have tried so many similar recipes and it blows all of them away. Better than take out and way healthier, even my 2 year old loved it!
Hi Laura! Thank you so much! What a great compliment. My husband really liked this recipe and was the person that had been begging me for Orange Chicken. I’m so happy your family enjoyed! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)
I made this earlier this week and it is THE BOMB. I have been told I need to double the recipe and make it weekly :).
Linda, I’m so happy to hear this! ? Music to my ears. ?
Paleo Newbie – I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work tonight and got 4 lbs of organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs just to make more (we prefer the juicier dark meat) ❤️
Linda Meck So do I. I created d the recipe to make it friendly to those that don’t know chicken thighs rule. I’m with you! ??
Sounds wonderful! Will try :)
How’d I miss this? Beautiful! ? On my list to make!
I will be making this soon
Can I use arrowroot instead of tapioca starch?