We’ve got the scoop on the perfect Cinco de Mayo party food – try this easy, layered, no-bean paleo dip recipe with plantain chips or veggies on the side.
This one turned out awesome I must say, piled high with classic south-of-the-border flavors everyone loves. (By the way, I included a mini-recipe for my made-fresh paleo taco seasoning, or you can just use your favorite pre-made seasoning.)
Plus this is one dip that’s good for you too…you’ll be scooping up a nice balance of hearty protein, fresh veggies, and omega-3 rich fat in every bite.
You could also serve this one rolled up in my paleo tortillas recipe for an awesome soft taco meal.
I made this party-sized for my paleo peeps, so when you head over to your friend’s house for a barbecue or host one of your own, you can easily whip up this killer appetizer that will make even your non-paleo friends smile.
We did our scooping with paleo plantain chips – many grocery stores carry pre-made brands, or you can make your own with this Paleo Newbie recipe: easy plantain chips.
I made this last week when it occurred to me that Cinco de Mayo is coming up fast. But this dip recipe is so easy, you don’t need an official holiday get out the big bowl and make this one.
Watch this paleo dip come together in 13 seconds!
It was so fresh and yummy, the hubs and I ate it up all by ourselves in two days! Oops, forgot to share! Oh well, this one will definitely be on our paleo menu throughout the spring and summer…so maybe a few lucky friends will get to enjoy this layered bowl of Mexican goodness!
Try this easy paleo recipe and turn any day into a south-of-the-border celebration. And as always, let me know what you think!
Easy Paleo Mexican Layered Dip Recipe
Meat Mixture Ingredients
- 1 lb of grass-fed hamburger meat
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning* use your favorite, or see below for my Paleo Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
Other Layer Ingredients
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1/2 cup red onion finely diced
- 2 cups of guacamole
- 7 oz canned green chilis
- 1/2 cup black olives sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped (for garnish)
Trina’s Paleo Taco Seasoning* (use your favorite or this fresh paleo version)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Use just 2 Tbsp for the meat mixture seasoning
- If making fresh, combine ingredients above in a small bowl and set aside
- In a frying pan add 2 tablespoons of a fat of your choice in a skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, onion and peppers. Cook until meat is browned. Add just 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning to the meat, then add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. Stir and allow to simmer for a few minutes while you chop the remaining vegetables.
- Finely dice 1 tomato, dice a half cup of red onion, slice the black olives, dice the 7-ounce can of green chilis, and chop the cilantro for the garnish. Keep veggies separated. (I used canned green chilis, but you could certainly do fresh – just dice and slightly sauté them before adding to the mix.
Build the Layers:
- Bottom Layer: 1/2 of the meat mixture
- Next: 1 large diced tomato (save a couple tablespoons to garnish the top later)
- Next: 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- Next: 1 cup of guacamole
- Next: The remaining half of the meat mixture
- Next: green chilis
- Next: Sliced black olives
- Next: 1 cup of guacamole
- Top Layer: Toss on your reserved diced tomatoes and about 1/3 cup of chopped fresh cilantro