Summer never tasted so good! This homemade dairy-free “ice cream” is easy to make (with an electric ice cream maker that is) and contains no milk, soy, or refined sugars…
Just a little paleo cheat with the dark mini-chocolate chips, but this paleo recipe is awesome without them too.
All natural – all good!
[av_sidebar widget_area=’Lockerdome’ av_uid=’av-1xgle3′]
This dairy, gluten and soy-free ice cream reminds me of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia. I love it! The puree helps give it a nice overall cherry flavor, and the added chopped cherries and semi-sweet mini chocolate chips are a real treat.
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 oz, full fat)
- 1 bag of fresh or frozen cherries (10 oz). If frozen, thaw before preparing.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of raw honey
- 1/2 cup of mini-chocolate chips, semi-sweet (dairy, nut and soy free - Enjoy Life brand preferred)
- Set aside one fourth of the cherries, and dice or finely chop remaining three-fourths of cherries
- Place the whole cherries you set aside in a blender or food processor, and puree
- Add all the liquid ingredients (coconut milk, vanilla and raw honey) into the blender or food processor. Do not add chopped cherries or chocolate chips yet! Blend medium speed for about one minute.
- Stir in remaining chopped cherries into the mixture. Do not blend, stir only.
- Pour mixture into electric ice cream maker.
- When mixture starts to thicken, pour in mini chocolate chips
- Churn ice cream until desired consistency
When you store the ice cream in the freezer, you will notice it gets rock-hard. This is because there are no preservatives or additives to keep it soft. Remove it from the freezer 15 minutes before serving, or heat in the microwave a few seconds to soften – it will be just as yummy as the day you made it. Enjoy!
This sounds amazing. It’s cherry season here in Oregon! Yay!
Shayne, I’m from Washington and we had a Bing cherry tree in our back yard, so I’m right there with ya! This recipe is the first one I put on my blog and I still love it! :)