Forget the low-fat diets and statin drugs for heart health.
Dietician Cassie Bjork writing on Primal Docs offers 7 quick tips to naturally protect your ticker.
Here’s a brief summary of each:
- Eat less refined sugar and fewer processed carbs. Both contribute to inflammation which can lead to heart disease.
- Eat healthy fats. Choose good fat sources such as avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts (and for our primal friends, heavy cream and butter) – all to nourish and repair blood vessels. Try to pair a healthy fat with every meal.
- Skip the inflammatory oils. That would include vegetable oil, canola oil, hydrogenated oil, corn oil, soybean oil, safflower oil and margarine.
- Eat balanced meals. That means ideally getting the Big 3 with every meal: Healthy proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
- Support your heart health with supplements. You might want to consider CoQ10, fish oil, a quality probiotic and L-Glutamine – all can help reduce inflammation and heal your gut.
- Relax more. Stress can increase your blood pressure, damage your arteries, produce irregular heart rhythms and weaken your immune system.
- Give your heart a good workout. Instead of long cardio routines, the preferred paleo way is shorter and more efficient workouts – look into interval training, HIIT, or CrossFit.