I think you’re going to love this simple skillet meal because it’s so easy to add extra stuff to it…read on and you’ll see what I mean.
Oh by the way, I used red potatoes which makes this recipe Whole30® compliant, but not entirely paleo.
That’s an easy fix … just switch out the red potatoes for chopped sweet potatoes (white flesh recommended) and it’ll be both Whole30 and paleo.
So like I was saying, this is a fantastic baseline recipe that’s awesome as-is. I mean spicy chorizo and potatoes together? Yum! It really does taste as good as it sounds.
But if you’re feeling extra creative – or just have some extra veggies you want to use up – this is probably the perfect, fool-proof recipe to experiment with and still have your meal turn out crazy-delicious.
Here’s what I mean … add some scrambled eggs and you’ve got a wake-up-your-taste-buds egg, potato and chorizo breakfast.
Or add some spinach leaves … toss those in during the final stir so they just wilt a little bit before serving to get some extra greens on your plate.
Or how about sliced zucchini or squash … sauté those a little bit along with the onions and bell peppers and rock on with the recipe as written.
Baby carrots would be a great addition … roast those alongside the potatoes before adding to the skillet.
See what I mean? This is a very versatile recipe! Got something in mind? Add it and I bet you’ll love it.
Hope you enjoy this simple recipe … play around with it, do a little improvising – see what you can come up with.
Be sure and let me know how you made this simple skillet dish your own in the comments below!
- 1 pound baby new potatoes, quartered (substitute with chopped sweet potatoes for full paleo compliance)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 ounces uncooked Mexican pork chorizo (ground, no additives for Whole30)
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup diced bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven 425º F
- In a medium bowl, add potatoes with olive oil, oregano, and garlic powder. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread out potatoes on a baking sheet. Place in center oven and roast about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden and tender.
- While potatoes are roasting, cook chorizo in a stovetop skillet over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through. Remove meat from skillet and temporarily set aside.
- Next add onions and peppers to the hot skillet with a little more olive oil if needed. Season with a little salt and pepper if desired. Sauté until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Finally, return cooked chorizo to the hot skillet. Add in the roasted potatoes. Stir everything together until warmed through. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy.
Could you make this with Kielbasa instead of Chorizo….we are wimps in my house and cannot handle the heat :-D….Thanks so much for the feedback. A completely Newbie and just like you said in your About page, was drawn because of the name and starting out. I am following you on IG as RiversofWater :-)
Melissa, I am way behind on responding and apologize. Yes, you can use any kind of sausage you like. Thank you so much for reaching out. I wish you the best!xo