With Thanksgiving coming upon us fast here in the States, this handy little paleo soup recipe is a very simple and delicious way to use up some of that leftover turkey you’re sure to have from this year’s family feast…
If you’re like me, the last thing you want to do is prepare another big-production meal right after Thanksgiving. It’s time to relax and enjoy hanging out with friends and family, right?
Well with this easy paleo recipe you can give yourself a much-needed break, while still serving your family a wholesome and delicious home-cooked meal in about 30 minutes.
Basically, you’re just taking your leftover turkey, adding some fresh veggies, and then a little chicken or vegetable stock, plus some spices – that’s about all you need to create an amazing homemade paleo soup. Nothing fancy, but so good and very filling.
You can make your own broth for this one if you like, or it’s pretty easy to find organic chicken or vegetable stock these days at most grocery stores. As always, take a close look at the label for any non-paleo ingredients.
And by the way, you don’t have to wait until you have holiday turkey leftovers – this is a hearty soup recipe you can enjoy anytime. Just a few cups of shredded turkey (or chicken!) and you’re good to go.
This is a classic, soul-warming soup…perfect for those cold winter days you want to warm your toes in front of a fire with a clean and savory meal.
No noodles in this soup recipe of course, but that just means you can enjoy every hot spoonful guilt-free. Or if you’re doing a Whole 30-type clean-eating program, this paleo-approved dish will fit in perfectly. And honestly, with all the veggies in this one, you’re never going to miss the noodles.
Hope you give this one a try. It really is a no-fuss, nutritious and great-tasting paleo soup everyone will love.
Paleo Turkey & Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 3 cups of pre-cooked turkey shredded
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 3 carrots diced small
- 1 large yam or sweet potato diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 quarts of chicken, turkey or vegetable broth (make your own or use organic pre-packaged stock)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice all your veggies and shred three cups of pre-cooked turkey (or chicken)
- Sauté the celery, carrots, and onion in your soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat with a little coconut oil for 4-5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper to taste
- Next add the broth, diced sweet potatoes, garlic cloves, and a bay leaf to the pot and cook uncovered over medium heat about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender
- Finally add your pre-cooked turkey, chopped parsley, and again add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer just until the turkey is heated through
- Remove bay leaf, serve hot and enjoy!