Here’s an eye-opening paleo recipe for you…coffee-infused non-dairy ice cream with the added bonus of dark mini chocolate chips!
This cup of happiness is such a yummy summer treat…and it’s incredibly easy to make with a little instant coffee and an electric ice cream maker.
I used Trader Joe’s 100% Columbian Instant Coffee – not bad for a cheap instant coffee.
All you do is whisk together everything (except the chocolate chips) in a mixing bowl and pour it into your ice cream maker. Wait until the ice cream starts to thicken, then sprinkle in the chocolate chips.
This is one recipe that might make you a little nervous – if you’re susceptible to caffeine jitters, just sub out the hardcore java with a gentler decaf instead. [av_sidebar widget_area=’Lockerdome’ av_uid=’av-u4llzu’]
I think you’re going to really love the flavor in this paleo ice cream…it has a rich coffee taste, but it’s not overpowering. And then you’ve got the creaminess of the coconut milk, and a touch of sweetness with the maple syrup. It’s kind of a cross between a café latte and café mocha you eat with a spoon!
You can leave out the chocolate chips if you want to cut out some of the carbs, but I love extra chocolaty crunchiness they give this ice cream. And what the heck, this is just supposed to be an occasional treat – sometimes you’ve just got to go for it, right?
Give this fun paleo treat a whirl…one bite and I know you’ll be shouting “cool beans!”
- 1 can (13.5 oz) of full-fat coconut milk (chilled works best)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1.5 Tbsp instant coffee (regular or decaf)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dark mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life® brand)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together above ingredients – except the mini chocolate chips
- Pour into electric ice cream maker and churn
- When the ice cream starts to thicken, sprinkle in the chocolate chips
- When desired consistency is reached, serve immediately or pack into ice cream containers and freeze
Use decaf instant coffee if you don't want a caffeine buzz with your ice cream
This was SOOOOO good but next time I may cut the cinnamon in half….it was more cinnamon tasting then coffee
Oh good Holly, thanks so much…the cinnamon was to give it a little “Mexican coffee” flair we like down here in Arizona…but I always encourage peeps to adjust any recipe to suit their own personal tastes! :)
Kaytlyn DeMers You could make this and put coffee on top! It’s basically guilt free then ?