You’re not going to believe how easy it is to make these amazing nachos – and yes, this colorful fiesta of flavors is all paleo!
When you’ve just got to have a tasty snack, these simple skillet chicken nachos are the bomb!
The chips I used were my own gluten-free sweet potato chips (link to my easy recipe) or you can probably purchase something similar. (As always, scan the label for wheat-free and clean ingredients).
The chicken I used was actually from a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken; just a quick shred and it was good to go.
In case you don’t have a favorite paleo-approved taco seasoning mix, I’ve included my own homemade version for you as an option that’s really, really good. You’ll see it in the recipe below.
And whatever you do, don’t skip the healthy avocado sauce topping for this one! It’s your cheese replacement for the nachos, and as you’ll find out, it’s incredibly tasty.
Ok, the easiest and best-tasting paleo chicken nachos you’ve ever had are just minutes away … grab your trusty cast-iron skillet, and let’s whip this one up!
Paleo Chicken Skillet Nachos with Avocado Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups pre-cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 oz can of green chilies -OR- fresh chili peppers (I used a Hatch chili pepper for mine)
- 1 1/2 up to 2 tbsp your favorite Taco Seasoning Mix (or see my optional version below)
- 2 1/2 cups sweet potato chips – see link in notes below (or purchase similar paleo and gluten-free chips)
- 1/2 cup pre-made pico de gallo
- 1/4 cup black olives, drained and sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp (Optional Garnish) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 of an avocado, pitted and flesh spooned out
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 of a seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 cup a paleo mayonnaise, or similar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, lightly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
OPTIONAL HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING
- Note: Makes more than you need, but you’ll love using this one in other paleo recipes! Just stir or shake all the ingredients below together.
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Make your own sweet potato chips (see recipe link in Notes below, or purchase similar
- Next make the Avocado Sauce above – simply blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shredded chicken, green chilis, and taco seasoning and stir.
- Next add the 1-1/2 Tbsp tomato paste and 1/2 cup water. Simmer until chicken is warmed through.
- Add chips to skillet along with the pico, olives and fresh cilantro sprinkled over. Top with the avocado sauce.