It’s a snap to turn traditional cabbage soup into a hearty entrée with this simple paleo recipe that adds your favorite sausage to the mix.
About all you need for this easy paleo recipe is a large soup pot and a big appetite.
Cabbage soup is one of the great classics, especially comforting during the cold winter months. I think you’ll warm right up to this paleo recipe if for no other reason than it’s so darn easy!
In fact, I took just about every shortcut imaginable to whip this one up.
For starters, I used a package of pre-shredded cabbage, but feel free to grab a head of fresh cabbage and chop it up yourself. I also chose a package of pre-cooked sausage from Applegate, but you can always go with your favorite link sausage for this soup. And I used Pacific Organic for the broth, but if you’ve got homemade bone broth handy that would be even better. Oh, and I used a can of stewed tomatoes too.
So with all those modern grocery store ingredients at the ready in my kitchen, I made this soup in under 30 minutes – even with all the veggie chopping and dicing going on.
The results I think were amazing. The base has a real earthy-peppery flavor, and as a bonus, it’s packed with some nutritious veggies to give you a nice variety of sweet and savory in one steaming dish. Add the sausage for protein and fat, and you’ve got yourself a hearty and satisfying paleo meal to melt away the harshest winter’s chill.
Feel free to tailor this recipe to suit your taste buds…just taste the soup while it’s cooking and go with your instincts. Not spicy enough? Add more ground pepper, or go for broke and sprinkle in some red pepper flakes.
Hope you give this easy classic soup with the added heartiness of your favorite sausage a try.
Dish it out on an especially crisp winter night and savor every spoonful!
Easy Paleo Sausage & Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Large soup pot or Dutch oven
- 8 oz sausage of your choice sliced thin and browned. (I used Applegate pre-cooked sausage)
- 3 tbs olive oil 1 tbs to brown sausage, 2 tbs to sauté veggies
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup carrots sliced
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 5 cups beef broth or stock I used Pacific Organic brand
- 1 sweet potato medium-size diced into 1/2-inch cubes (to make about 2 cups total)
- 1 can (14 ounces) stewed tomatoes diced
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of ground pepper
- Salt if needed. to taste
- 4 cups fresh cabbage chopped and shredded
- In a frying pan over medium heat, brown your thin-sliced sausage in 1 tsp of olive oil, then set sausage aside
- For the remainder of this recipe use a large soup pot or Dutch oven...
- Over medium heat, add onions, carrots and celery with 2 tbs of olive oil. Cook about 5 minutes, and then add the garlic. Stir and cook 1 minute more
- Add beef broth or stock, chopped sweet potato, tomatoes, your cooked sausage, thyme, pepper. and salt to taste. Turn up the heat and boil about 7 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through and tender
- Next add the shredded cabbage, and reduce heat to simmer
- Simmer soup for 3-5 minutes, stir, and serve hot!