Ok, so this was a no-brainer. It was Sunday. My hubby had just molded himself into the couch cushions for an afternoon of football when he asked, “What’s for dinner?”
I’d had a long week, so I was very tempted to tell him dinner would be whatever he wanted to get off his lazy butt and make. But, I decided to give the poor guy a break. Still, I didn’t have it in me to bust out a gourmet paleo meal today.
What saves me on days like these is my crockpot. You’ve heard me say it before – you need to make one of these little plug-in wonders your paleo cooking buddy. It will make your life so much easier.
So out came the crockpot…and some chicken wings. First I broiled the wings for a few minutes on each side and then tossed them into a little pool of sauce in the crockpot. Lid on, timer set to 5 hours, and like I always say, that’s how it’s done!
I used my own BBQ sauce recipe for these paleo chicken wings, but choose whatever kind of you like. I also added a little of Franks Red Hot Wings sauce to take the heat up a bit. Then I just let everything simmer on low for about 5 hrs. It’s one of the easiest meals to make. And the best part, these juicy chicken wings come out of the tub infused with all kinds of tangy, slow-cooked BBQ flavor! Delish!
When my boys come home for the holidays, this will definitely be on the menu. Serve your paleo wings with carrots, celery, and a side of sweet potato fries, and you’re good to go!
Easy-peasy. Winner, winner chicken dinner!
Or something like that. :)
Crockpot Paleo BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe
- 2 – 2 1/2 lbs uncooked chicken wings & drumettes
- salt, pepper, olive oil (as needed – see directions below)
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups barbeque sauce (your choice, or see our recipe linked below)
- 2 – 4 tbsp Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce (for added spiciness, if desired)
- Turn on your oven’s broiler
- Plug in your crockpot and set to low
- Salt and pepper all wings, then lightly coat them with olive oil
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and place something like a cooling rack or two on the cookie sheet. Place chicken on the cookie sheet racks, and slide the cookie sheet onto the top rack of your oven
- Broil chicken about 5 minutes on each side (this is just to crisp the crust a little, not to brown the chicken)
- Remove chicken from oven and place in crockpot with barbeque sauce and Franks Sauce, and cook on low for about 5-6 hours
- Serve hot and enjoy!