When you’ve worked up an appetite that goes beyond mere hunger, this is the kind of slow-cooked, melt-in-your-mouth, seriously succulent meat you want waiting for you at the end of your fork.
Steaks are good, burgers are fine – but these crock pot flavor-infused short ribs take beef to a whole new level of deliciousness.
And what’s the best part? They’re ridiculously easy. No kidding.
First you season them, then you sear them alongside onions and garlic. Just let those natural sugars caramelize and brown the meat. Then you put them in the crock pot and step away…your slow cooker will take it from there. [av_sidebar widget_area=’Lockerdome’ av_uid=’av-2qs3ll’]
Set ’em on low and let them go for hours…heat and time are the secret ingredients to this mouth-watering magic act.
And just when the hearty aroma of these beefy beauties have your tummy growling uncontrollably with anticipation, your short ribs will finally be ready.
Fall off the bone beef that’s so juicy and tender you can cut it with a fork.
And don’t be afraid of the ancho and chipotles in this recipe – the resulting flavor of those peppers are actually very subtle…much more smokey and sweet than spicy. But if you’re still in doubt, feel free to leave them out.
Don’t have bone-in short ribs or they’re too pricey? Not a problem. Sub out with chunks of chuck or pot roast. You’ll have an exquisite slow-cooked beef dish that’s a bit leaner, but every bit as juicy and tender.
You can serve this one over cauliflower rice, in a salad, over mashed potatoes, or have some fun and bake up some sweet potato wedges and ladle all that juicy meaty goodness over.
Hope you enjoy this awesome and easy paleo epicurean meal…and as always, let me know what you think!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Course salt & pepper to season
- 2 1/2 lbs. beef short ribs (or sub with a chuck or pot roast)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili ground pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice (equal to about 2 limes)
- 1/4 beef broth
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Pat ribs dry and season generously with coarse salt and pepper
- Heat skillet with olive oil to medium high and begin searing the ribs, turning with tongs to brown all sides. (Don't cook through; this is just to give the meat an appetizing color)
- For the last minute or so of browning, add the onions and garlic to the skillet to help carmelize the meat
- Remove meat, garlic and onions from skillet and transfer to slow cooker.
- Add in oregano, ancho chili, chipotle peppers, salt, pepper, lime juice, beef broth, and tomato paste
- Set slow cooker to LOW and cook about 8-10 hours, or until meat is cooked through and very tender
- Temporarily remove ribs, shred meat, and return shredded meat to slow cooker with the juices
- Serve as part of salad, or over mashed potatoes, cauliflower rice, sweet potato wedges, whatever you like