Here’s a “souper” guest post from a super gal: meet my new friend Keri, author of the Passion for Paleo blog…
You may already know about Keri’s awesome blog and paleo recipes, but if you don’t, check her out. Here’s the link: Passion For Paleo.
I met Keri online a while back and immediately liked her! She’s down-to-earth and a real person who’s not afraid to talk about her struggles with weight and share with her readers the steps she’s taking to get healthy.
This girl is spunky, kind and someone I hope to meet in person someday. Plus she loves The Walking Dead show, so we were kindred spirits right off the bat. 🙂
She was kind enough to share this little post and recipe with us. I’m really looking forward to trying her “Hot & Sour Soup” – it sounds amazing. Thanks Keri!
[dropcap type=”round” color=”33740e” bcolor=”78bdd6″ ]I[/dropcap] am fat. Not chubby. Not big boned. FAT! I never thought I’d be squeezing into size 24 nor did I think my bra would be a 44DD. I am many things but healthy is not one of them. I am an emotional eater, the Queen of Excuses, and a chocolate addict that has been lugging many extra pounds around for 7+ years.
I have Hashimoto’s Disease (an autoimmune disorder) and Hypothyroidism which has made life difficult.
There have been many days when I wondered what was wrong with me. Now I realize that despite what I have been labeled with, I have control over how I want my life to be. I’m sick of my extra baggage, and I want to start unloading. I want to start living. I want to be the best version of myself possible.
I use my blog, Passion for Paleo to hopefully let others know that they are not alone.
The goal for me is not to tear apart my hands lifting weights or to get down to 2% body fat…my goal is simply to get healthy and to keep my Hashimoto symptoms under control.
I am on a mission not to let my diagnoses determine the quality of life I have.
I am going to arm myself and battle for my health. I have gone PALEO!
Keri’s Hot & Sour Soup
Growing up my step mom would have wicked cravings for Hot & Sour Soup, which was always great because I would then get my favorite (Egg Foo Young). It wasn’t until my husband cracked open a long forgotten Chinese recipe book, that he became inspired to create a Paleo friendly Hot & Sour Soup…and I am so glad he did!
This recipe is super simple, amazingly tasty. so much better than what I grew up with.
I hope you love this as much as my family does!
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked pork (leftover pulled pork works best)
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp Vinegar (with ground pepper to taste)
- 1 cup chicken stock (cold)
- 1 Tbsp Tapioca Flour
- 1 1/2 Low Sodium Tamari Soy Sauce
- 5 cups of chicken stock
1. Crack eggs, mix and set aside.
2. Add Tapioca Flour, Tamari Soy Sauce, Salt to 1 cup of cold chicken stock. Set aside.
3. Combine vinegar with the desired amount of ground pepper to small bowl. Set aside.
4. Chop up pulled pork and guess what? Set aside.
5. Add 5 cups of chicken stock to large pot. Bring to a bowl.
6. Add Tapioca Flour mix to hot stock. Stirring until dissolved and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat.
8. Slowly pour eggs in while stirring constantly.
9. Add chopped pork. Simmer for 5 minutes
10. Add vinegar & ground pepper to taste.
11. Garnish and serve.
Simple Garnish Idea: Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds. A dash of sesame oil and crushed red peppers are great too
Don’t have pulled pork? Substitute with your favorite meat.